Artists’ Safe Haven: Call for applications for 2024
Justice & Peace Netherlands is launching a new call for applications for the Artists’ Safe Haven initiative. The deadline for applications for the initiative is 14 September 2023 at 23:59 CEST (Central European Summer Time).
Artists’ Safe Haven initiative
Through its Artists’ Safe Haven initiative, Justice & Peace Netherlands aims to contribute to the promotion of freedom of artistic expression globally, including the right to create art, admire it, critique it, challenge it, be provoked by it, and respond to it free of governmental censorship, political interference or the pressures of non-state actors. Through the provision of temporary relocation and tailor-made support for artists at risk, Justice & Peace aims to promote the safety of these artists, and in particular women artists, worldwide so that they can build new strategies and continue their important work for freedom of artistic expression in their country of origin.
With support from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Justice & Peace will be able to provide three temporary safe spaces in The Hague in March, June or September 2024 for artists or art practitioners at risk.
To be eligible for the initiatives, applicants should meet the following conditions:
- They implement a non-violent approach in their art work;
- They are threatened or otherwise under pressure due to their work or activism;
- They are willing and able to return to their country of origin after 3 months;
- They are willing to speak publicly about their experiences, work (of art) or about human rights in their country to the extent that their security situation allows;
- They have a conversational level* of English;
- They have a valid passport (with no less than 18 months of validity) or be willing to carry out the procedures necessary for its issuance. Justice & Peace covers the costs of issuing a passport and / or visa (if applicable);
- They are not subjected to any measure or judicial prohibition to leave the country;
- They are willing to begin their stay in the Netherlands around March, June or September 2024.
*By conversational English we mean that participants’ level of English allows them to actively participate in a training, speak about their work, communicate with the host city, etc.